Warren County, Tennessee Genealogy
Warren County, Tennessee family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you find your own Warren Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Warren County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.warrencountytn.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: November 26, 1807 from White County, Jackson County and Smith County
- County Seat: McMinnville
- Named After: American Revolutionary War officer Joseph Warren (1741–1775), who sent Paul Revere on his famous midnight ride
- Bordering Counties: DeKalb County (north), White County (northeast), Van Buren County (east), Sequatchie County (southeast), Grundy County (south), Coffee County (southwest) and Cannon County (northwest)
- Cities & towns include: Centertown, McMinnville, Morrison, Viola, Dibrell
Warren County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Warren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Tennessee Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Warren County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 411, McMinnville 37110
- Brady-Hughes-Beasley Photographic Archives, 102 S. Spring Street, McMinnville, TN 37110 931-473-8226
- William H. & Edgar Magness Library, 118 W. Main Street, McMinnville, TN 37110 931-473-2428
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Warren County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Warren County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Warren County
- Warren County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Warren County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Warren County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Warren County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Warren County.
Warren County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Warren County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Warren County courthouse in 1852, Some early records were destroyed.
- Warren County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 201 Locust St., Suite 2P, McMinnville, TN 37110
- Phone: (931) 473-2623
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Probate Records: 1827
- Warren County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 201 Locust Street, McMinnville, TN 37110
- Phone: (931) 473-2926
- Land & Deed Records: 1810
- Warren County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 639, McMinnville, TN 37111-0639
- Phone: 931-473-2373
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1847
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1842
- County Court Minutes: 1848
- Warren County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 201 Locust Street Suite 5, McMinnville, TN 37110
- Phone: 931.473.3450
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Tennessee Historical Records
- Databases include Tennessee Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Tennessee Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Tennessee Voter Lists & Census Records; Tennessee Immigration & Emigration Records; Tennessee Obituary Records; Tennessee Military Records; Tennessee Family Tree Records; Tennessee Pictures; Tennessee Stories, Memories & Histories; Tennessee Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Warren County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Warren County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Warren County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Warren Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Warren Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Warren Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Warren Co. TN Census Records
Warren Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Warren Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Warren Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Warren Co. TN General and History Websites
Warren Co. TN Immigration & Naturalization
Warren Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. TN Military Records
AlpineWarren Co. TN Schools & Directories