Smith County, Tennessee Genealogy
Smith County, Tennessee family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you find your own Smith Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Smith County Quick Facts
Smith County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Smith County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Tennessee Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Smith County Archives, P.O. Box 112, Carthage , TN 37030; Phone: (615) 735-0200
- Kingsport City Archives, 400 Broad Street, Kingsport, TN 37660; Phone: (423) 224-2559
- Smith County Historical And Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 112, Carthage 37030
- Bristol Public Library, 701 Goode Street, Bristol, VA 24201 276-669-9444
- Smith County Public Library, 215 Main Street North, Carthage, TN 37030 615-735-1326
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Smith County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Smith County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Smith County
- Smith County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Smith County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Smith County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Smith County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Smith County.
Smith County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Smith County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Smith County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 122 Turner High Circle, Suite 101, Carthage, TN 37030
- Phone: (615) 735-9833
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1805
- Smith County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 122 Turner High Circle, Suite 113, Carthage, Tn 37030
- Phone: (615) 735-1760
- Land & Deed Records:1799
- Smith County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 211 North Main Street Smith County Courthouse, Carthage, TN 37030
- Phone: 615-735-0500
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1825
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1811
- County Court Minutes: 1799
- Smith County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 122 Turner High Circle, Suite 106, Carthage, TN 37030
- Phone: (615) 735-1750
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Tennessee Historical Records
- Databases include Tennessee Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Tennessee Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Tennessee Voter Lists & Census Records; Tennessee Immigration & Emigration Records; Tennessee Obituary Records; Tennessee Military Records; Tennessee Family Tree Records; Tennessee Pictures; Tennessee Stories, Memories & Histories; Tennessee Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Smith County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Smith County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Smith County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Smith Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Smith Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Smith Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Smith Co. TN Census Records
Smith Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Smith Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Smith Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Smith Co. TN General and History Websites
Smith Co. TN Immigration & Naturalization
Smith Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Smith Co. TN Military Records
AlpineSmith Co. TN Schools & Directories