Obion County, Tennessee Genealogy
Obion County, Tennessee family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you find your own Obion Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Obion County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.obioncounty.org
- Created Date / Origin: October 24, 1823 from Chickasaw Indian lands (organized on January 19, 1824)
- County Seat: Union City
- Named After: The Obion River.
- Bordering Counties: Fulton County, KY (north), Weakley County (east), Gibson County (southeast), Dyer County (southwest) and Lake County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Hornbeak, Obion, Rives, Samburg, South Fulton, Troy, Union City, Woodland Mills
Obion County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Obion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Tennessee Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Obion County Historical Society, P.O. Box 241, Union City 38261
- Obion County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 241, Union City, TN 38261
- Obion County Museum, 1004 Edwards Street, Union City, TN 38261 731-885-6774
- Obion County Public Library, 1221 East Reelfoot, Union City, TN 38261 731-885-7000
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Obion County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Obion County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Obion County
- Obion County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Obion County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Obion County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Obion County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Obion County.
Obion County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Obion County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was an earthquake at the Obion County courthouse in 1842.
- Obion County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 2 Bill Burnett Circle, Union City, TN 38261
- Phone: (731) 885-3831
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1834
- Obion County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 514, Union City, TN 38281
- Phone: (731) 885-9351
- Land & Deed Records: 1824
- Obion County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 7 Bill Burnett Circle, Union City, TN 38261
- Phone: 731-885-1372
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1854
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1826
- County Court Minutes: 1824
- Obion County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 327, Union City, TN 38261
- Phone: (731) 885-2931
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
- Obion County Health Department, P. O. Box 248, 1008 Mt. Zion Road, Union City, TN 38261; (731) 885-8722, (731) 885-8723, (731) 885-8724 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time). Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Tennessee Historical Records
- Databases include Tennessee Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Tennessee Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Tennessee Voter Lists & Census Records; Tennessee Immigration & Emigration Records; Tennessee Obituary Records; Tennessee Military Records; Tennessee Family Tree Records; Tennessee Pictures; Tennessee Stories, Memories & Histories; Tennessee Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Obion County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Obion County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Obion County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Obion Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Obion Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Obion Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Obion Co. TN Census Records
Obion Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Obion Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Obion Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Obion Co. TN General and History Websites
Obion Co. TN Immigration & Naturalization
Obion Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Obion Co. TN Military Records
AlpineObion Co. TN Schools & Directories